Ingredients : Makes 14
- 50 g self-raising flour
- 50g custard powder
- 50 g butter or margarine , softened
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 egg york, lightly beaten,vegetable oil for greasing
- 15 g butter or margarine , softened
- 25 g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 170 C . Grease two baking sheets or trays
- Sift the flour and custard powder into a bowl. In a separate large bowl, beat the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg, a little at a time , then gradually work in the flour mixture to make a firm dough.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead briefly, then roll it out to a 25 cm circle. Using a plain fluted 4 cm round cutter , cut the dough into as many rounds as possible. knead the trimmings together , roll out again and cut into more rounds until there are 28 altogether.
- Place the rounds on the prepared baking sheets and prick well with a fork. Bake on centre of shelf and just above for 20 – 25 minutes , until lightly browned . Cool the biscuits for a few seconds , then loosen them with a palette knife and transfer to a wire rack. Leave to cool completely.
- Make the filling : beat the butter until very soft and creamy then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Add the lemon juice , 1 teaspoon at a time and beat well until smoothly blended.
- Sandwich the biscuits in pairs with the creamy filling and serve them as soon as possible.